Wednesday, November 4, 2009

And used, big words


God, she's such a genius badass. This is a clip from a small documentary on her poem O Superman. To watch all of O Superman click here i highly recommend it.

O Superman. O judge. O Mom and Dad. Mom and Dad.
O Superman. O judge. O Mom and Dad. Mom and Dad.
Hi. I'm not home right now. But if you want to leave a
message, just start talking at the sound of the tone.
Hello? This is your Mother. Are you there? Are you
coming home?
Hello? Is anybody home? Well, you don't know me,
but I know you.
And I've got a message to give to you.
Here come the planes.
So you better get ready. Ready to go. You can come
as you are, but pay as you go. Pay as you go.
And I said: OK. Who is this really? And the voice said:
This is the hand, the hand that takes. This is the
hand, the hand that takes.
This is the hand, the hand that takes.
Here come the planes.
They're American planes. Made in America.
Smoking or non-smoking?
And the voice said: Neither snow nor rain nor gloom
of night shall stay these couriers from the swift
completion of their appointed rounds.
'Cause when love is gone, there's always justice.
And when justive is gone, there's always force.
And when force is gone, there's always Mom. Hi Mom!
So hold me, Mom, in your long arms. So hold me,
Mom, in your long arms.
In your automatic arms. Your electronic arms.
In your arms.
So hold me, Mom, in your long arms.
Your petrochemical arms. Your military arms.
In your electronic arms.

Which leads me to two other beautiful, intelligent ladies who I love so dearly. My old friend Alex Pirozzi, keeper of the Williamsburg hearth and who can decorate a mean apartment- seriously it's stupid how incredibly stylish Alex is, and so perfectly east coasty. But I feel as though whenever peopel talk about Alex they get tripped up on the fun exteriors, her beautiful face, her great personal style, her amazing decorating skillz, really, it's intensley awe inspiring! Or the fact that she is the best non cook cook I know who doesn't photograph her food, she just eats it, she actually taught me a couple things I still cook up and is really the reason I started cooking in college, and not just ramen or rice a roni with heather. Because Alex would have me over to her beautiful house and i would sit in her kitchen at her table smoking cigarettes and drinking an expensive beer and watch her cook an amazing meal almost every night- mussles, fish tacos, delicious soup, like a mom. Anyhow, Alex if you can't tell is magical and the type of person who keps her old quilts wrapped in prtective plastic and placed in trunks and who listens to Galaxie 500 in her kitchen alone, reading the New Yorker, cooking an herb chicken in the oven while wearing an apron, her hair up in a messy bun smoking a cigarette like the sultry italian goddess that she is. ANYHOW, because of all these things, i think people forget that Alex is actually amazingly intelligent, as stated above, and a purveyor of social justice and one of my first 'academic' feminist friends I met in college. Her work surronding women's health and the health of children from birth control to free pre natal care has always impressed me. She is a worker of social justice on a grass roots level, and she and I were on team Hillary together from day one. Well, Ms Pirozzi has a new blog that follows her forrays into the world of health care, women's re-productive rights and the rights of all children everwhere. I admire Miss Alex so much. She has a blog called 'Listen Up' that you can now follow by clicking here- that ones for you Athena!- inside joke, moving on!-

Miss Alex
And then, my most beautiful other beautiful friend who's been on the blog many a time, and much to her chagrin, Sascha Goldhor. Her and her cool as cool can be bro Jessie, have a new blog called Gold and Goldhor. In which they follow the culinary adventures of Jonathan Gold. The best, in my opinion, and i would guess, team Goldhor as well, food critic in all the land. Sorry Anthony Bourdain, I still love you! Anyway, Sascha knows of what she speaks, she is a diligent foodie with good taste in everything and was a producer on the film 'Food Inc.' so these are matters close to her heart. click here to see thought provoking yummyness.
Oh beautiful friends, the days go by so much nicer, with a little shine from your cups.

Miss Sascha