Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hard Promises

So this past weekend was actually lots of fun! Semiotext had a reading at Mt. Bar in Chinatown and Sarah read an excerpt from her highly anticipated novel! Very exciting :) and then Sascha and Sarah and i went to see Nite Jewel Abe Vigoda and Telepathe at the Smell on Saturday. Even though it was hot as hell inside the Smell and Telepathe had sound problems it still was lots of fun. And Busy and Mellisa are amazing live. They're moving here and I'm so excited I could barf!
Anyway, last night I had a special just for me night, I rented the Peter Bogdonavich documentary on Tom Petty called Runnin Down a Dream and I have to say, I was super impressed. It was sooooooooooooooo good. Anyone who knows me knows that, despite what I post on this here blog and one would think my fave band/musician would be GnR, but actually it's not. I actually am very conflicted about GnR, which is why I've academically pursued them, Axl Rose intrigues me, why am I simultaneously attracted to his music and disgusted by it at the same time, anyhoo, my FAVE band musician of ANYTHING OF ALL TIME and I'm a little embarrassed to say it's not a woman, is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, so I'd been wanting to see this thing for a while. It's very good. I highly recommend it. And no, just to answer any future questions, I don't like Bruce Springsteen, I think he's overrated and I hate the sound of his voice. It's like a cat who smoked too many cigarettes. Tom's voice though I can listen to all day for the rest of my days until I fall into forever sleep.
Also, my friend Mike looks just like Tom Petty and I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons I love him so much is that his face makes me feel warm and cuddly.

Mike. Warmth and cuddles, no?