Monday, June 29, 2009

What Good is Sitting Alone in Your Room?



ps i am still experiencing severe photobooth addiction.

The celebrity I've been told I look like the most is undoubtedly Liza Minnelli, which I am totally 100 million percent A Okay with. I should be so lucky. Although I only think this is because we both have noses of a certain 'size' and funny cartoon eyeballs. The funny thing is that the celebrities my mom has gotten her entire life are Elizabeth Taylor, Natalie Wood and Liza- yes my mom was ridiculously beautiful in her younger days clicka me!, and still is, I think :) - So who knows. To be fair it really only happened in high school when I had Liza's famous pixie cut and was dying that shit black. For serious I had black hair for five years! Sometimes I'd get an itch to bleach it and then put some red or purple eggplant kind of color in there, but I always went back to blue/black. After Liza it would have to be Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction, but again, that was mostly really in high school- my only other real hairstyle was the Betty Page, Uma Pulp Fiction bob. And again I think it's really just because we have schnozes and cartoon eyeballs. ANYWAY, here's Liza marching in a Gay Pride parade in France. God, she is fucking BADASSS. I have and will always love love love Liza. And of course, Cabaret is my favorite musical. Love that Bob Fosse.



So this post is a mish mash of lots of random crap, so bear with me. With the sadness surrounding Michael's death a review I wrote for the Weekly had to be shelved, as obviously the music department went into overdrive with Michael's passing, so I've decided to post it here.
I love Emily and Wounded LIon, they are just soooo good:
If Nashville Skyline Bob Dylan and Lion and the Cobra Sinead O Connor had a music baby, it would sound a lot like Emily Lacy. Add a twist of Joanna Newsom and a dash of the Pogues and you get a taste of what Lacy’s new beautiful album Armor sounds like. All hand made “by myself” chirped Lacy, at last nights Echo Curio show, “Oh god, I sound like a four year old” she self consciously mocked a beat later, the sound though is nothing but professional. The spirit of the DIY stops at the cellophane wrapper. Inside are layered and intricate songs that could honestly be on any list of “Best Albums of 09”. It’s that strong. Last night’s performance only solidified what the folks at Machine Project, where Lacy recently completed a two month residency, have known for awhile, that Lacy is an unbridled, exciting new artist on the brink of something groundbreaking. Unfortunately the next two acts on last night’s bill, Missincinatti and Cryptazice didn’t have much of a chance following Lacy’s intense and moving performance. It should be noted though that Cryptacize, Chris Cohen’s, post Deerhoof project, had some wonderful moments of soaring vocals and super tight hooks and melodies, but at the risk of being stoned and flogged- I have a hunch that the packed show was the result of Cryptacize whose album received a very favorable Pitchfork review- I don’t really get what all the fuss is about. They’re like armpits, I’ve got mine and you’ve got yours.
The evening seemed as if it belonged to Lacy, but local art gonzo’s Wounded Lion weren’t going down without a fight and turned out one of the most blistering, magnetic performances I’d seen since, well, two acts earlier. The chemistry of Wounded Lion is magical, watching each member rotate on each instrument as if a band was simply a game of musical chairs and to have each member attack each instrument with the fear that his life depended on it, and to play each instrument so well, is indicative of a group that understands the power of performance. Lyrics like a ‘a hundred years of potato chips a hundred years stale’ link them solidly to their musical spirit animal, The Talking Heads. Wounded Lion exists in a world of the absurd and their performances are like beacons guiding you toward the Da Da light.




Amazing Emily Interview. Viva DIY!

ps, no more pictures of myself for awhile i promise. the combination of finally understanding how to use facebook plus the acquisition of the mac iphotobooth have turned me into an image vain obsessed monster. arg. me eat your brains with my lame image obsessed attitude! arg, give me brains!
pps there's a reason ive posted these pictures, they are EXTREMELY flattering and i don't really look like this in real life, well, on occasion when i spend hours getting ready in front of the mirror and then i carry like some gum and a toothpick to like, hold it all in place. but in actuality i'm more excited by the tricks of the camera and the power of knowing my 'good side' thanx Elle magazine. You were good for somthin! long explanation later, i feel lame and shitty and am conflicted about vanity, why should we feel all weird about it? who knows, thats a feminist blog post for another day!
This is kind of more what i really look like. :)


It's true, you are! Just the most beautiful thing.