Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Desert Island Styles



Lists, I live by them. Try one out. It's easy peasy 123.

Some people I just don't like and I don't have to have a good reason why. It's fine and dandy. They might donate their house to feed the hungry, march in line with the best o feminist's and for all intents and purposes be the best of peeps, and I can still not like them. ITS OKAY. In fact, I probably don't like you.
Not everybody likes me.

One on one hang outs rule. Having lots of friends is overrated. I like internet scrabble and eating alone in my bed sometimes, sometimes i don't want to go out for drinks when i can fart alone.

Llyod Dobbler wins. He will always win, except maybe against Heather Duke.

I am my own best friend. You should be yours.

Just because I have a boyfriend doesn't mean I'm not grumpy about men. I generally, pretty much, hate them all the same as before.

Just because I, in general, hate all men doesn't mean I'm angry at my boyfriend.

The Kogi Truck sucks. Sorry doods, it does.

Sometimes I wish I introduced myself as Nicole. Nick calls me Nicole and never asked if he could. I think this might be why I like him.

I don't want to get married, ever. You can write that down and fold it up and put it in your pocket as an 'I told you so', but it will just turn to dust lost amongst your change and hairpins. Some people, omg, can you believe it, is it possible, don't want the same things as you.

I don't believe in marriage, but it doesn't mean I won't be happy for you at your wedding.

Transgendered people, young gay men and women, recovering addicts, homeless children and battered women are the bravest people I've ever met personally.

My mom is the strongest person I know. But also the most frustrating.

Even though I look white and my last name is Darling and I went to college and am in graduate school and don't like 'mexican things' or 'sound mexican'- whatever that means- it still pisses me off internally when people assume I'm white. I'm half Mexican, raised by a single mexican mother who sent me to private schools on my grandpas veterans checks. When I call Citibank to get my balance and they ask for my mothers maiden name to check my security code, saying 'Valdez' is sometimes the most whole I ever get to feel.

I possess a great well of anger at society and am generally unhappy and unhinged on a daily basis by the things most people seem to be at ease with. I am constantly having to monitor my behavior.

I don't have a great sense of humor. I'm not very easy going.

I was raised on credit cards and live in my own debt today.

I love animals because they are instinctual and do what's in their best interest. They are funny and beautiful and strange without ever having to say a word.

Tom Petty
The B52's
Guns n Roses
Th Pretenders

I like music more than books.

I like theory more than philosophy.

I like lyrics more than poetry.

Eileen Myles
Sylvia Plath
Anne Sexton
Laurie Anderson are my favorite poets.

The Simpsons seasons 1-5 are perfect.

Beavis and Butthead and Daniel Johnston make me think of a home i've never been to.

If everything you are preoccupied with disappeared tomorrow what would you be left with? What would you do?

I'd take out a piece of paper, write "To Do" at the top and put #1: My novel.