Monday, January 24, 2011

The Beets Go On

The Beets Rule. Nick is really good friends with these doods and they are awesome.


If you live in New York you should see them live. It's actually pretty amazing/epic how awful they are- sorry Nick- live. But it's so sloppy it comes back around to genius.
They make cool music videos like the one above, and this one:


Anyway, I don't know how old the lead singer kid is and i don't want to know, he's hot and looks 19 and spazzy and zonked out on being 19. Which I'm grooving on.
They also have an 'official artist' Matt Volz who is certifiably gifted and makes rad drawings like this:



It looks like a cross between Lynda Barry's Ernie Pooks Comeek- which I have been obsessed with since I was kid- and the Malaysian Lat comics, by Lat, that I have also loved since I was a kid. So basically I love this Matt Volz guy. Who coincidentally is friends with my first roommate ever, Michell Matson, who is the creator of the zine Hands On and most importantly an incredible artist who makes stuff like this:




Michelle is a beauty. And actually, our third roommate Jaqueline, has turned into a pretty successful photographer. You can visit her blog here click me!. So I guess, go us!

It's a small Brooklyn after all.