Friday, October 30, 2009

Time isn't holding us, time isn't after us






I didn't take these photos, I yanked them from Heather's facebook profile, whatevs. But I wanted to post them because a) they illustrate quite clearly why HeeHaw is one of the greatest humans on earth and two- yes i rock letters and numbers together when making points- and two, they made me realize how much my life has changed in just the year and couple months since I've been away from the east coast. Halloween is quite the big deal in NY and it also served as a wonderful time to leave town and hit the road and see some nature. The landscape is different. And with nature being such a rare and welcome sight in the city, natural nature not manicured street mediums, that when you see it in it's dog given glory, it's a wonderful feeling of celebration and freedom. You've managed to escape the dadaist ridiculousness of the pulsing vibrating city, which really odes after awhile start to feel like a living, breathing thing all on its own. I miss NY and the smallness of the east coast, get on a bus and be in what feels like a different world in two hours, hop on the train and be in another state. It's not quite that easy out here. But what I have come to appreciate about the west coast, which I don't think I fully grasped until I left and returned, is the openness, the freedom, the possibility of getting lost, actually lost. Dying in the desert or driving over an hour and not seeing a single car. Despite all the strip malls and ugliness that are slowly encroaching on this distinct landscape, there is still the feeling of impossibility and wildness, unhinged mania that creeps around the edges of this place. And I love it.
Be safe, happy Halloween!!!!!